About Making Unnakai, And My New Hobbies


Hi guys.
I wanna apologize to my blog for abandoning it like that. Sorry!! But I’m back.
I’m proud to say that I found LOTS of new hobbies! Yup and I mean LOTS!!

Anyone can and will have countless number of hobbies if you are introduced to Fevicryl Hobby ideas! My love for this product started when I walked into a famoust craft store in town called PKG. I went with my friend because she heard about this stuff from her friend. We were like kids at a toy store. I WANT THAT!

I bought all the stuff needed for Glass Painting(which is VERY easy to do), shilpkar, fabric paint, play dough, and many other stuff.
Shipkar has two dough inside. Mix it in equal quantities and mould it into different shapes, stick it to flower pots, photo frames, literally anywhere. When it dries, paint it using fabric colors. I made flowers and sticked it on the most boring looking pot I saw lying around. Painted the flowers pink and the pot, black. Now it ooks Bold And Beautiful! 😀
Play dough is just for fun 😛
Glass painting turns out good even if you are the messy person with shaky hands!

My other new hobby is cooking. Started out as a hobby, but now its a passion. I make one dish a day, mostly tea-time snacks. 70% of the time, my dish comes out amazing. Lets not talk about the other 30% which turns out to be a complete disaster(even my dogs think twice before eating!)

Yesterday(sunday), I planned to watch three movies. Monte Carlo, Bad Teacher and Crimes of Fashion. I wanted to watch something other than the Guy-movies in the IMDb Top 250 list (which btw is going good.) Monte carlo was very boring. Fast forwarded through most of it. It was like a bad rip off of the Lizzie-Mcguire, the movie. Bad Teacher was hilarious (Jason Segal was super cute!). Crimes of fashion was also good.

The whole family was at home, infront of TV or computer. That’s when my dad asked if I was making any snack (My dad became a fan of my cooking after tasting the Gulab Jamun I made. And I DID NOT make it using Instant Gulab Jamun mix!) I wasn’t really planning too, but the fact that someone asked was more than enough reason for me to run to the kitchen and start scanning the kitchen for ingredients for an awesome snack.

There was everything to make Unnakai. My favorite tea-time (or any-time) snack. It does take a lot of work, but it is all worth it. For making unnakai, First step is to steam ripe banana. After it is cooked, allow it to completely cool down. Then mash it. I was mashing the bananas, and that’s when my mom starts suggesting ‘tips’.
“Don’t mash it. There will be lumps in it. Use the mixer. Then add rice powder to make it crisp”
I ignored. She repeats. I yell!
” I’LL DO IT MYSELF. ”
My mom always does this. She throws suggestions at me. I reject it completely, and then I’ll get second thoughts.
‘CRISP’-That’s the word that catched my attention. I use the mixer and the product turned out to be a sticky paste! So I had to add rice powder (and flour), if I still wanna make the unnakai. Then I made small balls with the dough and stuffed coconot and sugar mixture, and deep fried till it get golden brown color.
It was DELICIOUS( Everyone thought so 🙂 )

I’m posting the recipe here, just in case any of you want to try making it. 🙂

  1. Ripe banana – 2
  2. Grated coconut – 1 cup
  3. Sugar –  6 spoonful
  4. Cardamom – 2
  5. Ghee – 3 tablespoon
  6. Oil

Steam the bananas. Let it cool completely. Mash the bananas & keep it aside.

Heat ghee in a pan & add coconut, sugar & cardamom. Cook it for 4-5 minutes.  Apply a little oil in the hands & make small rolls with mashed bananas. Fill it with coconut mix & roll it  into an oval shape. Fry these rolls in heated oil until it becomes light golden brown.

Advertisements

Yeyyyy!! Its Sunday


Its Sunday.. My favorite day of the week.

Why??

  • Because its a holiday for the whole family[Love it 🙂 ]
  • Its the only day I read newspapers! [Can’t blame me, I’m a busy gal during weekdays!]
  • Tv’s never switched off on Sundays . We turn that room into the dining hall! [And I like it!]
  • Sleep.. Sleep.. Sleep!! [Its the day to make up for all the lost sleep of the week]
  • A day for my pets. I take them for a long walk. [Love ’em!]

The only downside to sunday is that tomorrow is monday. Back to college. 😦